Our Corpus Christi Kayak Club (about 100 members) will host a repeat
performance of last year's successful Corpus Christi Paddlefest at IB Magee
Beach Park at Port Aransas. We will invite kayakers from 18 other Gulf kayak
clubs to join us for the 3 days. We can drive, camp and kayak right from the
beach. We had over 80 kayakers attend last year (see pictures here)
Please let me know as soon as possible (1) if you plan to attend: Contact
Ken Johnson 361-855-3926 firstname.lastname@example.org)
Corpus Christi Paddlefest this year will include:
1. Guided kayak tours of 1-Shamrock Cove birding refuge, 2-Historic Lydia Ann
Lighthouse, 3-Circumnavigation of Harbor Island to see lots of dolphins,
4-paddle along the Padre Island canal homes, 5-Corpus Christi Bay around the
city and the Lexington Aircraft Carrier, and 6-Aransas River or Nueces River
on last day before returning home.
2-Group camping right on the beach with restrooms, cold showers, and parking
right next to your campsite.all compliments of IB Magee Beach Park ($12/night
for primitive camping right on the beach with up to 8 people and 2 cars per
campsite (see park description at http://nuecesbeachparks.com/facilities.html
). And there are lots of hotels/motels/restaurants/beach shops right next to
the beach in Port Aransas for those who are adverse to camping.
3. Try out new demo kayaks, compliments of Rafael (Mayan Seas Kayaks), Mark
White (P&H Kayaks), and Chris at Austin Canoe & Kayak. Also, volunteer kayak
club members will provide tips and advice to new kayakers and let them try out
their kayaks as well.
4. Group dinners around the group beach fire with special music for Friday and
Saturday nights. Beach BBQ catered for those who would like to participate and
sign up for Saturday night.
5. Halloween costume contest with scary tales told around the beach fire
6. One of the top Greenland kayakers (Doug Van Doren) will be attending to
provide Greenland instruction. And there will be basic kayaking instruction
for those who want to improve their strokes or learn how to roll or surf.
7. Tips and workshop on how to build your own kayak and Greenland paddle for
those who are handy with a hammer. Will have extra Greenland Paddles for
people to try.
8. Bring your own kayak and gear to sell or swap.